First of all, the phrase “the straw that broke the camel’s back” means a string of annoyances and frustrations that eventually lead to one final irritation that causes a person to lose their patience, get angry, or explode.
Example: This week has left Dr. Beesknees tired and frustrated. Now at work and in a bad mood, she went to treat a patient and found that the patient’s chart was missing. This was the straw that broke the camel’s back. She went out to the front desk and exploded, right in front of another patient.
Has this ever happened to you in your practice? Maybe more than a few times? Why and what can you do about it?
How do things get to this point?
Answer: The build-up of everyday annoyances and frustrations left unhandled, such as:
- Your receptionist just told you she is too busy to do the recalls.
- Yet another cancellation happened this morning.
- One of your staff asked for a substantial raise today, even though the practice income is not back up to pre-covid levels.
- An emergency patient backed up the whole morning and patients are sitting in their cars waiting to be seen.
- Your assistant just gave you one week’s notice and you are leaving on holidays tomorrow.
Enough said, you get the picture, right?
Many practice owners have called upon us for our services because they just experienced “the straw that broke the camel’s back” and it was the beginning of a whole new adventure in creating the practice of their dreams. Practice owners who are well-trained executives create protocols, policy, systems and structure that prevent frustrating situations in the first place so they don’t build up and blow up.
What could be improved in YOUR practice to make it ideal for you?
- Keeping your schedule full of patients you enjoy treating.
- A more efficient way of scheduling patients.
- Collections made easier.
- Get more patients referring friends, family and co-workers.
- More effective team meetings.
- A well-trained team all working together happily and productively.
- Every patient going ahead with the ideal care you are presenting.
- A highly productive marketing campaign.
- An effective reactivation method to recover past patients.
- OTHER? (FILL IN THE BLANK)
These are not Pipe Dreams
There is nothing on the above list that cannot be brought about in your practice if you choose to have the ideal practice. There is training and coaching available to anyone.