Have you ever felt for a day or a week (or months or years) like throwing in the towel, ending the business, walking away, closing it down or selling it and starting something new entirely?
Guess what? You’re not alone! Almost anybody has had a day or two or more when they felt like that.
So what do you do if you start feeling like that? There are a variety of solutions, some of them good, some of them bad. Here is a suggestion that has proven to be successful for many people.
Unless you are ready to retire and willing to give up all your equity in the practice that you ran for years, walking away from it is probably not a good solution.
Unlike employees who can just give notice and change jobs and make a fresh start (not an optimum solution for them either though), you are a practice owner and you can’t just give notice on your practice and change to new one that easily.
So let’s look at options or ways to give you that same feeling of making a fresh start:
1. The first step is to sit down and write down all the things about your practice that make you want to throw in the towel. Don’t get down about it as you’re doing it, just write down the things that need to change.
2. Now rate each item on the list as to which is the most important to handle first, and so on down to the trivial. You can give them numbers from 10 down to 1 or something like that.
3. Next, take the most priority item and write down in point form next to it any ideas that you can dream up to change it. Be a little wild and crazy, and try thinking outside the box for unique solutions.
For example, maybe you hate your location because it is old, tired, too small, poorly laid out, you don’t own it, bad location, etcetera. Okay, so what can you do about this? … hire a contractor to reconfigure the interior and redesign everything, or just do a minor renovation of new flooring and new wallpaper or paint, or build your own building, or sublet your space to someone and move to a new location that is bigger and better for you. Keep thinking … there are probably more solutions.
4. Do this with each item on your list. You may even find yourself getting excited that there are ways to make your future better and fresh. But don’t stop here. Take one item on the list that you can get started on right away that will make you feel like you are effecting real change. It might serve you best to take a rather simple item and get that done just to feel like you have made a start.
5. Work up plans or projects with steps that need to be accomplished in order to get the project done. Maybe your staff can do some of the steps for you, because don’t forget they need change too. Keep on it till each project is done.
Creating a brighter future inspires everyone! So get busy and have some fun with this. Get fresh!
We are here to help you make your dreams a reality!
Call now for more information:
416-466-6217 or click here
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to The Art of Management Inc. and a clickable link back to this page.