Over our lifetimes, many opportunities to improve and expand present themselves. New ways of thinking. Fresh ideas. And we get excited by some of them, right?
Let’s call that the First Thought: “Hmmm, that sounds like a great idea; we should go for it.”
Then there is the Second Thought that comes right after: “But what if it fails or doesn’t work out?” Or, “How do I know that this will work for me?”
What should the Third Thought be?
Answer: “Failure is a Bruise. Not a Tattoo.”
You will not die from trying new things (unless it’s the world’s longest, fastest and highest roller-coaster, in which case you could die of fright or lack of oxygen). In other words, think it through, plan it out in detail and if it makes sense, take a chance.
Failure Can Lead to Success
There are many famous sayings about failure leading to success:
- Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts. – Winston Churchill
- If you’re not failing every now and again, it’s a sign you’re not doing anything very innovative. – Woody Allen.
- Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. – Henry Ford
- Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty and persistence. – Colin Powell
- As long as you blame others for the reason you aren’t where you want to be, you will always be a failure. – Erin Cummings
- You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don’t let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space. – Johnny Cash
Whether you own a practice, work in a practice or want to try something new, only you can stop yourself from grasping opportunities that come your way that may lead you to the success you are looking for. Success is a journey. The minute you say to yourself, “I am a success and I have reached all my goals,” you are now on your way down a very slippery slope towards Nowhere. Keep trying new things and evolving and being interested in fresh ideas, and you will always be looking up, not down.
So what if you fail once in a while. Learn from it and try again! Live life, don’t shy away from it!